5th grade Reading
March - ongoing Bonus until end of 3rd 9 weeks : Students may memorize and recite to class a classic poem:
2. O Captain! My Captain!
3. The Road Not Taken
weeding and organizing the garden near chruch adn 5th grade walkway
*Scholastic Student login is: lions123
- 1. 3rd 9 weeks we will focus on creating a working poetry portfolio and learning about various poets - both American and British while studying great classic poems. Students are responsible to maintain a 3 pronged working portfolio that displays his/her work for each poem studied or activity created. A final great will be assessed.
- Quiz on Civil War Poetry:
1)Summarize the historical poem Barbara Frietchie.... Why is it a narrative poem? Explain 2 reasons why.
2) What famous poem did Julia Howe Ward write? Why did Howe write this poem and what did she believe about the war?
3) Know the difference between literal and figurative meaning in the poem O Captain ! My Captain!
- 3. Book Talk - Students should be reading novels, books - any book of choice. Wednesday, February 28 students will present a book talk. We have been working closely with Ms. Anne Blanchard in the library on encouraging life long readers - building a passion for reading. See the "Book Talk" link for ideads on how to present a book talk.
I like to See It Lap the Miles
- Metaphor/Similie Activity
- activity - Image of poem for portfolio
Casey at the Bat
- Summary Writing of poem - due Friday , January 12 - 5 pts. Class lesson on Summary writing
I like to See it lap the Miles
I Hear America Singing
I , Too
- Students create a venn Diagram demonstrating the similaries and differences of poem
The Arrow and The Song
- Illustrate image of this poem
- Story map of the poem of template provided
Civil War Poems:
Barbara Frietchie - assignment illustrate the Confederate and Union Flags
Battle Hymn of the Republic - writing activity
O Captain! My Captain! -civil war quiz
The Road Not Taken - Leaf writing paragraph activity
THE SNOWSTORM - free verse poem and picture of BR snowdays
How I Love Thee
Encourage Students to READ READ READ! List of popular series.